Senior Scientist on Topcon Milpitas California
Topcon is a comprehensive ophthalmic device manufacturer within the worldwide ophthalmic community. It introduced the world’s first commercial back-of-the-eye spectral domain (SD) and swept source (SS) optical coherence tomography (OCT) systems, which have driven innovation in eye-care.
More recently, Topcon Healthcare Solutions started to enhance not only its hardware but also its software solutions. To become the leader in diagnostic software, Topcon has developed a new strategic division whose primary objective is to create world-class software solutions for the eye-care industry and beyond. Our products enable the collection and visualization of a wide range of imaging and clinical data while providing quantitative and clinical analysis capabilities. Topcon’s software gives clinicians access to patient exam data captured from OCTs, Visual Fields, Fundus cameras, and other Topcon and third-party devices. We leverage Topcon’s image management software called Synergy, where practitioners gain access to DICOM and non-DICOM information stored in a central, cloud-based environment. Additionally, Topcon now provides an integrated service that connects practitioners to an extensive network of reading services to assist in the management of sight-threatening eye diseases.
- Generate new ideas, product concepts and build laboratory test beds or prototypes to demonstrate proof-of-concept.
- Identify, evaluate, and assimilate new technology and use creative problem-solving skills to develop innovative solutions.
- Provide technical leadership for cross-functional teams in the development of R&D prototypes.
- Analyze and verify system performance through simulation and measurement.
- Perform trade-off analysis of technology and design alternatives for new products/platforms.
- Provide strong support to ensure seamless transition of new technology concepts towards product development.
- Identify and work with external vendors to apply existing and developing concepts to Ophthalmic products.
- Review current developments in the diagnostic ophthalmic industry and report findings.
- Collaboration with external researchers in universities and research institutes for joint technology development
- Analyze and develop new intellectual property, including documentation of new ideas and filing patents.
- MS in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering, or Biomedical Engineering with four years of relevant industry experience; or PhD in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering with 0-3 years of relevant industry experience.
- Experience with medical imaging such as ultrasound, MRI or CT is desirable. Experience with Ophthalmic Imaging and/or Optical Coherence Tomography is a strong plus.
- Experience using visual studio, qt, SQL and Linux is desired. Algorithm development experience in C++ and CUDA is a strong plus.
- Experience with image processing, computer vision, and machine learning is highly desired.
- Experience with medical device early stage product development, pilot production, and good documentation practices
- Strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to find creative solutions to difficult problems.
- Firm grasp of optics, imaging, and system design fundamentals.
- Highly skilled in using mathematical modeling and optical design tools such as Matlab, C++ and/or ZEMAX.
- Must have good oral and written presentation/communication skills.
- Individual must be able to work independently as well as in a team-oriented and goal-oriented manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and communicate effectively (written and verbal) across multiple locations and teams