Opening for Technology Director – Core Products at Volk Optical Inc.
The Technology Director role presents an exciting opportunity to lead and mentor a highly talented, dynamic and motivated team of engineers working on sustaining, enhancing and developing of currently marketed and new core products including diagnostic, laser and surgical lenses, surgical systems and marketed diagnostic imaging devices. The Product Development team at Volk embraces a culture of collaborative teamwork, impactful & customer-centric innovation, free exchange of ideas, fast-paced development, entrepreneurial mindset and can-do attitude.
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on leader with a strong technical background and track record of developing new medical device products. The Director will be responsible for developing and executing a strategic roadmap for core product development. They will possess strong project management skills, strong understanding of medical device development requirements, and ability to guide cross-functional teams across multiple concurrent projects to deliver new products and solutions for growth of our core product portfolio. The individual will coach and mentor team members on areas such as, product development process, technical skills development, customer focus, project management, and intellectual property.
- Developing and executing a strategic product development roadmap to ensure growth of core product portfolio
- Leading and building high-performance product development teams
- Leading by example and providing technical & project management leadership to the team to foster a culture of performance and accountability
- Communicating regularly to executive leadership on key strategic projects and initiatives
- Working closely with Customers, Product Managers, Sales and Key Opinion Leaders to understand customer needs and translate them into product requirements
- Providing leadership to core team on medical device product development process and work cross-functionally to improve processes
- Working collaboratively with Regulatory, Quality, Marketing and Operations to ensure effective and timely delivery of projects
- Identifying new product ideas and technologies, following up with rapid prototyping to assess product feasibility
- Recognizing the gaps and developing infrastructure, tools and resources to enhance efficiency in product development projects
- Using strong trouble-shooting and analytical skills to solve product issues or conceive new product solutions
- Minimum Master of Science or Engineering with 7+ years of experience, or PhD in a relevant field with 4+ years of experience
- Track record of successful execution of new product development in medical devices
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to prioritize work and maintain a schedule of deliverables
- Exceptional people management skills with inspirational leadership style
- Experience in medical diagnostic imaging and optical imaging is highly desirable
- Strong troubleshooting skills, critical thinking and track record of process improvement
- Possess the energy, passion, and enthusiasm to drive continuous improvement, customer-centric thinking and applying it to product development
- Exemplary inter-personal and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Design for manufacturing experience is preferred
- Willing to travel as per business requirements
- A clear thinker - simplifying strategy into specific actions with clear accountability, making decisions with speed & accuracy based on best available information and communicating priorities clearly & concisely.
Volk Optical, Inc. (Mentor, OH) is the leading design, development and manufacturing company for ophthalmic lenses and portable imaging devices. The company’s products include portable diagnostic ophthalmic imaging systems (Volk iNview and Pictor Plus), as well as a full line of reusable and single-use diagnostic, laser and surgical lenses.
Volk Optical is looking for ambitious people with the spirit of innovation and improvement which are vital characteristics to our success. We are passionate about developing new ideas, products and solutions to fulfill Volk’s purpose of eradicating preventable blindness. The four cornerstones of our company culture are achievement, innovation, empowerment, and customer satisfaction. Building on our success thus far, Volk is now defining its strategy for the future. We invite you to join us and be part of our journey to define the future of eye care.
Volk offers an exciting and friendly work environment, excellent benefits, and competitive salary. The position is based in the suburbs of Cleveland in the city of Mentor, Ohio, close to the lake. Please visit the Volk Career Website to apply for this position.
Volk Optical is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.