Senior Optical Engineer Opening at Celera Motion
Celera Motion’s precision optical encoders solve motion control challenges for technology-driven medical and advanced industrial original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are growing and are looking for a skilled, passionate, disciplined and enthusiastic Senior Optical Engineer to join our high performing team.
The ideal candidate will have a solid grasp of the full spectrum of modern interferometry-based and classical optical technologies, along with a continued focus on learning and innovating. They will be self-starting and self-directing, with a strong desire to collaborate with and to grow with others in the organization. They will have passion around both the exploratory nature of prototyping, as well as the rigor needed to finish and deliver a product to market.
As part of our new product development team, the candidate will work with several project teams in the development, testing, and delivery of state of the optical encoders for the motion control industry.
This person must have a strong background in the modeling, simulation, prototyping and design of complex optical components and systems. The candidate must have the ability to work well in a team environment and the ability to multi-task.
- Designs new interferometry-based and classical optical systems for high precision optical encoder systems
- Creates detailed design specifications and selection criteria for key optical components (optics, detectors, light source, etc…)
- Works with multi-disciplinary engineering teams and cross-functional project teams to integrate optical designs into end products
- Designs experiments and qualification/test plans for optical components and systems
- Designs new fixtures and equipment for Optics Lab as needed to support development and qualification of new optical designs
- Performs hands-on testing and validation of new optical designs, including optical components and performance of optical system when fully integrated into end products
- Leads multi-disciplinary teams as required
- Provides pre-sale and post-sale product/technical support to strategic medical and industrial customers as needed
- B.S. in Optical Engineering or Physics
- 8+ years of experience designing and specifying optical systems for use in medical or industrial equipment
- Experience with modeling and simulation of optical systems blended with hands-on experience working in a laboratory environment to validate system characteristics and performance
- Logical thinker and good problem solver, at both the system level and component level
- Able to design and execute complex experiments and effectively synthesize and communicate results as they relate to technical and program goals and risks
- Positive, can do attitude, strong engagement skills Demonstrated history of meeting or exceeding goals and getting results
- Technical leadership and mentoring skills with a clear high performance orientation; demonstrates energy, enthusiasm, and creativity in problem solving
- Takes accountability for meeting commitments and deadlines while taking responsibility for technical excellence and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated history of sound judgment and decision-making in balancing cost, schedules and quality objectives
- Researches situations and seeks input from subject matter experts to ensure fact-based recommendations and decisions are being made during all phases of product development
- Able to work on multiple projects concurrently
- Team oriented. Proven leadership and teamwork skills in a cross-functional engineering environment; ability to motivate and empower team members; set and manage expectations
- Displays high moral and business code of conduct
- Able to effectively project the “face of Celera Motion” to customers and suppliers
- Respectful of customers, peers, subordinates and supervisors
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project)
- M.S. in Optical Engineering or Physics
- Experience with Zemax and/or Matlab
- Knowledge of and experience with LED light sources, VCSEL light sources, and development of custom semiconductor detectors with nanometer scale features
- Knowledge of and experience in developing, using, or troubleshooting motion control components/systems
Must possess a valid passport and be able to travel internationally, if required. Travel to strategic medical and industrial customer sites for demonstration, integration and technical instruction and to key suppliers for design reviews and assessment of supplier technical capabilities may require up to 10% travel.
For more infomation click here: https://novanta.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Novanta-Careers/job/Bedford-MA/Sr-Optical-Engineer_R000061