Research Scientist Position at IPG Photonics
R&D Scientist (Sensors)
The IPG Photonics (NASDAQ:IPGP) Canada invents, develops and produces market-disrupting sensor technology that enables unprecedented capabilities to visualize, understand and control laser manufacturing processes. The group’s products are integrated with IPG’s world-leading photonic material processing solutions and are used to provide quality assurance for high-power industrial laser processing applications in advanced manufacturing environments around the world. Our technology empowers many household brands to offer increasingly safe, efficient and performant solutions to consumers and industry alike.
We are seeking a new member of our R&D team to accelerate our scientific and product development. This role will involve the design and development of new sensors and sensor technologies for industrial manufacturing. We specifically value creativity, adaptability and the ability to critically consider new technology and research directions.
- Design, develop, and test all aspects of coupled electrical, optical and mechanical systems.
- Design, construct and optimize OCT imaging hardware.
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and performance of novel imaging architectures.
- Provide reports and work in a scheduled, product-development oriented environment.
- Create intellectual property to protect and support IPG’s dominant position in the market.
- Development of measurement methodology, algorithms and protocols, measurement and characterization tests.
- Learn about the laser welding process, including applications and the technology landscape. E.g. Welding heads, different processes (CW, pulsed, wobble, etc...), etc…
- Learn about material properties, metallurgy, and sectioning.
- Ph.D. in Optics, Physics or Engineering required, or 5+ years of directly-related industry experience at the scientist level.
- Strong working knowledge of design, construction and implementation of OCT imaging hardware.
- OCT imaging system optimization.
- Strong experimental skills related to the development. Can design and execute a DOE.
- Working knowledge of data acquisition software, such as LabVIEW.
- MATLAB experience (or similar computational tools).
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Preference will be given to
- An individual who understands imaging and image processing: Understands what information about the process is useful to the customer, Understands the technology landscape around imaging techniques.
- An individual who understands how to create a product: What technologies could be built today? What are the requirements for a product built using existing technologies? What are the limitations? An individual who has experience doing research to improve a product. An individual who understands the trade-offs between functionality, cost and time to market. The individual can think in terms of a product road map.
Candidates must be authorized to work in Canada, have a valid passport and be eligible and willing to travel to the United States, Europe, and Asia.
Please send inquiries and applications to: email@example.com .
For more information click HERE.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action M/F D/V
IPG Photonics Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans. All employment decisions and personnel actions at IPG Photonics are administered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, qualified mental or physical disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic carrier status, any veteran status, any military service, any application for any military service, or any other category or class protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. IPG Photonics Corporation provides reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants who need accommodation in the job application process should contact (508) 506-2527 or email HR.Accommodations@ipgphotonics.com to request assistance. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to.