Staff Optical Systems Scientist at Optovue
Optovue, Inc. (Fremont, CA) is an ophthalmic device company dedicated to working with eye care professionals, doctors and researchers to improve patient care through sustained technological innovation. The Advanced Development Team at Optovue is primarily responsible for identifying, evaluating and developing cutting-edge technologies in the field of ophthalmic and optical imaging. Innovation is firmly entrenched in our DNA and we take pride in the fact that Optovue has pioneered disruptive medical imaging technologies including spectral-domain OCT and OCT Angiography that have been revolutionizing the field of ophthalmology. We remain passionate about generating, prototyping and evaluating new concepts and ideas that would make a difference in the diagnosis and therapy of ocular diseases.
TheOptical Systems Scientist role in the Advanced Development Team provides an opportunity to work with a highly cross-functional group of scientists and engineers to contribute towards next generation products in the field of ophthalmic imaging. The successful candidate will provide technical leadership and actively work with our team of scientists and engineers for projects involving development of next generation ophthalmic imaging devices. The nature of projects may range from new product development, technology development, concept engineering, and improving existing product features. Strong grasp on the fundamentals of optical imaging system design, hands-on experience in prototyping complete optical imaging systems, pilot production experience, team-player with effective communication skills, open-mindedness to new ideas and solution-oriented approach are some of the key attributes that are expected from the person.
Optovue offers exciting and friendly work environment, excellent benefits and competitive salary. To apply for this position, please send your resume to: HR@optovue.com.
- Providing systems technical leadership in new product development and work with a highly cross-functional team through various stages of product development.
- Performing in-depth trade-off analysis of technology, systems architecture and design alternatives for new products/platforms.
- Early identification of technical risks or feasibility for new technologies or products and developing a plan for addressing the issues.
- Ownership in following areas: systems architecture and requirements, risk management, product verification & validation test plans and design transfer to manufacturing.
- Conduct FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), and system troubleshooting as needed.
- Use of first-order mathematical modeling and simulations to assess feasibility, compare technologies and validate experimental results.
- Strong understanding of integrated optical imaging systems involving integration of light sources, optics, motion control, basic image processing and related sub-systems and technologies.
- Clear communication with vendors to define technical performance requirements and appropriate tolerances.
- Communication of investigational findings across departments, including engineering, algorithms, clinical and marketing through technical presentations and documentation.
- Keeping up to date with the latest research and developments in the field by reading research articles and attending technical conferences.
- PhD in optics, biomedical instrumentation, electrical engineering, physics, bioengineering or related field plus 2-5 years of relevant work experience; or MS in optics, biomedical instrumentation, electrical engineering, physics, bioengineering or related field plus 4-7 years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience of designing and building complete optical imaging systems, devices and prototypes.
- Strong hands-on experience of developing a new product through various stages of product development process.
- Strong grasp of optics, imaging, and system design fundamentals.
- Approach technical issues with systems thinking
- A self-motivated team player who is adaptable and comfortable working in a dynamic, high-paced environment.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience in building optical imaging systems (OCT, microscopy, adaptive optics based imaging systems) is highly desired.
- Experience in developing imaging devices and products that required synchronized data collection and instrument control.
- Optical design experience using Zemax, Code V or other ray tracing software.
- Mathematical modeling skills to simulate experimental results using Matlab, C++ etc.
- Experience in pilot production process in industry environment.
- Experience with image processing and algorithm development.
- Experience in collaborating with doctors and clinical researchers.
- Familiarity with product development in medical device industry and good documentation practices.