Postdoctoral Position on Commercial Broadband Sources for OCT at 850nm Superlum Ireland
The Experienced Researcher at Superlum will be responsible for developing commercial quality broadband semiconductor SOAs with a fiber-to-fiber gain greater than 25dB over the wavelength range 790-910nm, and over the range of 1000-1100 nm. He/she will also work very closely with the Tyndall National Institute (Cork) and University of St. Andrews (UK) on the application of such SOAs for rapid swept sources for OCT. Good knowledge of the physics of laser diodes and laser diode amplifiers including processes of spontaneous and stimulated emission in quantum-confined heterostructures, and hands-on experience in building characterization and test systems for laser diodes and/or laser diode amplifiers is a must. Experience in modeling of laser diodes and amplifiers including gain properties of quantum confined structures is a plus.
The applicant will be required to satisfy the eligibility criteria for Marie Curie ITN young Experienced Researchers, i.e.;
- Must either be in possession of a doctoral degree, irrespective of the time taken to acquire it; or have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience
- Must have less than 5 years of full-time equivalent research experience, measured from the date when they obtained the degree which formally entitles them to embark on a doctorate
- Must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Ireland for more than 12 months in the three years immediately prior to their recruitment
- Very good knowledge of the physics of laser diodes and laser diode amplifiers is required
- Deep knowledge and understanding of processes of spontaneous and stimulated emission in quantum-confined heterostructres is required
- Hands-on experience in building of characterization systems for laser diodes and laser diode amplifiers is required
- Proven skills in modeling of laser diodes/amplifiers, including gain properties of QW structures, is a plus hands-on experience in building of an "application-driven" external cavity laser diode systems is a plus
The successful candidate will receive a 2 year contract. His/her working place will be Superlum Ireland, Unit 1F, Eastlink Business Park, Carrigtwohill, Co. Cork, Ireland. Envisaged starting date is 1-15 November, 2011. Attractive remuneration package (including mobility, travel and career exploratory allowances) is available.
Dr. Vladimir Shidlovski ( email@example.com ) will be the supervisor for this project. Please contact him to discuss further details of the project, and for details on how to apply for the position.